Happy 2017, everyone! I hope your holiday season was well too. Since I bake/cook more often for holiday potlucks and my annual cookie run, I decided to also post one of my recipes I made recently for it! My friends at Otaku Recipes featured my beloved chocolate chip cookies (I was a previous collaborator).
Lately I’ve been putting together a recipe box featuring the best of my recipes, as well as family recipes from my mom and my grandmothers. I used the cards from here but next time I plan to enlarge them, since they kind of run small.
Now finally, onto the dang chili!
Delicious Winter Chili (4-qt. slow cooker)
Yield: 10 to 12 people
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 2 (15.5 oz.) cans red or kidney beans, washed and drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 large red peppers, chopped
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup beer (use whatever you like to drink)
- 2 hot chili peppers, deseeded and chopped (depending on the crowd I use jalapeños or habaneros)
- 1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
- 3/4 tsp. ground sage
- 3/4 tsp. ground thyme
- 1 1/2 tsp. garam masala
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- Put all ingredients except the ground beef in the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- In a large skillet, brown the beef until cooked. Drain the fat and add the beef to the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cover the slow cooker and set on LOW for 5 to 6 hours, or HIGH for 3 to 4 hours. Do not lift the cover!
- Serve warm with cheese, rice, and/or tortilla chips, eggs, etc!
What are your favorite things to cook or bake in winter?